October 28, 2007

Friends of the Library

Friends of the Library have book sales at the town library a couple times a year. You can usually pick up some good deals like this cookbook for $1.00.
If the family is wondering "Gee what ever happened to Aunt Mary's Creme De Meinthe recipe" along with several other ones they should remember to check all books before donating.


I was looking at some of the craft books which had been quite picked over by others. I grabbed a couple crochet books (I don't crochet but I have a couple internet buds who do) and lingered over the section paging thru a few remodeling books.

Two ladies were also looking at the craft books. The younger one picked up a needlework book that was a basic overview of a dozen different needle crafts. She commented as she was paging thru, "Oh look mom, there's a pattern for making socks."

The mother who looked to be in her 80's said, "Oh went I was younger my sisters and I had to do all the family knitting. We did the sweaters, vests, and lots of socks. Back then you didn't have store bought things like you do today."


The daughter commented that she couldn't believe they would put a sock pattern in a book from the 70's because certainly people didn't make socks in the 70's. "And why would anyone want this book now? Like anyone hand knits socks now adays?"


I giggled and they both looked in my direction. I lifted my leg a bit and pointed to my ankle. "Yes, there are people who still knit socks by hand. More than you could imagine. Once you wear hand knit socks store bought ones just don't make it anymore."

And the mother commented about how beautiful my plain jane socks were and I went on my way. Silly women!

7 comments:

Just A Knit Wit said...

Educate the masses! That's what it's all about.

Anonymous said...

Ignorant wenches. :-)

Vivian said...

people!

why bother cooking when you can stuff yourself silly at McD's ...

On an unrelated subject, I tagged you to write 7 facts about yourself. come see it on my blog
:-)

Patricia said...

Good for you! I am all for educating the unwashed masses.
Aren't those book sales great? We just had our big sale last week. Must be that time of year.

Yarnsticksbooks said...

I always giggle when I hear comments like that too.

I agree with the others..... educate the non sock knitters.

Deborah said...

loved #3!

Lynn said...

Yes, there are a few of us that knit socks........
Bet they would die if they knew the price of what some sock yarns are going for these days.....